Monday, July 23, 2012

Restraint

My exhausted friend sleeps. Derek is having trouble adjusting to his new biology, but I am hopeful. His outbreaks are less frequent now. I think in time he will resume the existence of whatever...whoever he was. I restrained him just as a precaution. I traveled into the city of Winston-Salem by way of wooded areas. I consumed a fresh kill on the way in. Something about inflicting the "dark gift", makes me hunger for the more primal days of my childhood. The days of simplicity and wonder. I now lurk in the shadows amongst a multitude of balconies and survey the bustling below. The small groups of unsuspecting citizens, partaking in recreation and the bicycling officers who parade the streets. The townspeople are quick to forget the frailty of their lives, until confronted by a dark fate. The officers would be slow to realize how their dominance can be threatened in the blink of an eye. They go about their lives assuming that tonight is like any other and tomorrow will be likewise. So far they assume correctly, but sometimes I wonder why I restrain my contempt for your "humanity". I am every bit as dangerous as you would imagine. I have been provoked on more than one occasion. It seems the concept for many of you is that you're not truly living unless you're tempting your own undoing. I stand motionless for hours, observing and noting your scents and behaviors and patterns. I attempt to understand what you hope to find in your evening rituals...acceptance?...peace? ...salvation?

No comments:

Post a Comment