Tuesday, October 11, 2011

chemistry

For Derek to have approached me with such a strong introduction, he has proven to be much less talkative than anticipated. I'm sure he's intelligent, but he hides behind a very commercial and fake personality. He hasn't discussed why and I don't push for answers. I feel I will find them in due time. The situation does however leave me evermore wishing for someone to engage me in real conversation or at least some kind of favorable connection.

As a kind gesture, Derek lined me up with a blind date this past Saturday in the late evening. I told him that it was still too soon for me to consider taking on a romantic partner, but he insisted. He's been the greatest help that I could have hoped for thus far, so I decided I would oblige, if out of nothing more than gratitude.

Her name is Krista and she's a third year med student in a predominant ivy league college in one of the neighboring towns. She's very intelligent, witty and shy, with a somewhat awkward sense of humor. Dinner went well enough and she had a very unique perception of some chemistry related concepts that we had both found to be interesting in our schooling. As we ended our dinner and hopped a cab to a nearby theater, the mood got a little cozier and like I said before, my pheromones can have very different effects on people, particularly of the opposite sex.

Most of the time women that behave very conservative, end of giggling like young school girls and tripping over their words, you know very insecure and childlike. I wasn't expecting much different from Krista, but as we sat side by side in the back seat of the cab, I continued my argument on the chemistry based concepts and Krista clammed up in a shell of aloofness. She had made about a foot and a half of space between us by the time we approached the cinema and she sat a seat apart from me for the movie. We shared a cab home and as it was approaching her apartment I asked if I'd said something wrong. She quickly assured me that it was no wrong doing on my part and that she simply just felt very awkward in my presence.

I thanked her for her honesty and told her that she could always call me if she wanted to discuss compound chemicals and the like. I opened the door for her when the cab approached her apartment and gave her what probably seemed like a brotherly kiss on the forehead and again thanked her for a wonderful evening. That was a great exaggeration of course, but there was no reason to be rude. She said she'd give me a call sometime, but I seriously doubt that she will. I don't mind as I don't think I'm ready to start another relationship just yet...I'm not sure I ever will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment