Monday, September 26, 2011

how I met Derek

I'd been frequenting a 24 hour coffee shop. That's where i met my most useful resource who is helping me in my search. A man named Derek approached me at the shop one night and invited himself to my table. I'm not used to this type of reaction from strangers, as my pheromones usually ward off any curiosity men may have. I hadn't seen this kind of confidence in a person since Conrad. "You look like you could use a friend," he reassuringly proclaimed as he seated himself across from me, placing his coffee and biscotti before him. I nodded and introduced myself. We talked for hours, each of us equally sharing in the conversation. Time passed more quickly than it had in quite a while, a welcome break from my loneliness since everything had happened. I was vague about my story but explained that I had recently lost everything that meant something to me, including my family. I then took a chance and revealed to him that I couldn't rely on authorities to help me find my relatives because I was "wanted" by such authorities--and my relatives were as well. He seemed trustworthy enough...besides i thought to myself, what's the worst that could happen.

Derek's a short, well put-together individual that looks young for a man in his thirties. My first impression was that he was articulate and seemingly afraid of nothing. He informed me that he was a graduate of a local community college with a degree in business and an eye for marketing. He said he currently worked for a global business as a general manager and was returning to school in a semester or two for advertising. It was the weekend, which he had off from work and though he had only stopped in for a cup of coffee to sober up from a night of clubbing and bar hopping, he stayed and conversed with me until sunrise was approaching, and then I had to excuse myself for the evening. As I departed, he placed his business card in my hand as he shook it. He said the card had his cell number on it and that he enjoyed the evening and thought i was interesting and held wonderful conversation. He said he'd love to talk again, the next time I felt up to it.

I said i would, and thanked him for letting me get some things off my chest. He shouted good luck as I exited the shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment