Saturday, November 12, 2011

exploring

I'm up early today. I feel I slept well, which is still somewhat rare. It's been a couple of weeks since I last wrote, but I've been out of the country and I had trouble obtaining wi-fi. I think it may be the laptop that is at fault. I got a lead from the investigative company that Derek hired for me. The lead took me from my current location, to Maryland, then New York, then Montreal. Lots of travel, time and money just to wind up at a dead end.

I returned to the apartment Thursday night, miserable of course. Derek insisted I accompany him to a social gathering at a local club last night in an attempt to get my mind off things. I kindly obliged. The book sales are going great and he's been ecstatic about it for the past couple of weeks. We had a long talk Friday night after the social engagement. He told me that he had to constantly emotionally distance himself from me, because he felt I was "the greatest find of all time" and not being able to tell anyone of my true background was proving to be a terribly difficult feat. He said that becoming a close friend would only make things more complicated. I told him that I understood and thanked him for his silence on the matter.

The gathering was at a local club Derek frequented with some of his college buddies. The music there was a mix of current rock and hip hop. As a particular song began, bass pulsed through the establishment in pounding waves. For a moment in my mind, I was on the dance floor with Riley again. The thought brought me discomfort, but it was more tolerable than previous times that I had caught myself reminiscing. I had a few conversations with Derek's peers, then feeling adventurous I told my buzzed room mate that I would see him at the apartment later that night and excused myself to explore the surrounding bars and clubs. All in all I would say it was a good night. A breath of fresh air from the usual.

1 comment:

  1. Nolen,
    It's Taylor. I guess I shouldn't disclose a location, but we met this past weekend at the club you attended with Derek. We briefly discussed musical interests as well as Derek's odd sense of humor.

    Anyway, Derek sent me a copy of The Beckoning a while ago, but to be honest I never got around to reading it. I read it over the past couple of days and it is outstanding. It also brings me to a very important question. Well, first of all I'd just like to say that if the book is complete fantasy, then I have to congratulate you and Derek on the ingenius writing and marketing of it. However, what I must ask, is if any of the book is NOT fiction? I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but I must admit that I found you mysteriously enticing to say the least. You were friendly enough, but you also seemed to be holding a lot back. I asked Derek a little about you and he said that I could find all my answers in the beckoning and if any questions DID remain, I could ask you here.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the book is just well written fantasy, then KUDOS to you and Derek and I'd love to hang out with you guys again when I'm back in town, but if the book is even partially real, then I have to know you. I have to know more of you. You have to tell me. The other night when we were talking, you mentioned that there were very few people that you could trust these days. I want to be one of those people. If you are really the person in the book, I HAVE to be one of those people.

    Like I said before, if it's all just fantasy, then I've made a big fool of myself, but I don't believe it's fiction at all. When I looked into your eyes the other night, I think I saw the Nolen that the book describes. I have to know the truth. If you're there, all alone and suffering, I want to be there for you. I won't post my number on your site, but Derek has it, if you want to talk.

    Taylor Evans

    ReplyDelete